I’ve got the worlds worst sweet tooth and this afternoon I decided to give into my cravings and attempt gluten free doughnuts. These are lovely I don’t have a doughnut cutter so I just made balls but you can cut them with a doughnut cutter or two circle shapes one smaller than the other.
You will need:
– 500g gluten free flour
– 1 egg
– 70g butter
– 70g sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
– 260ml milk
– oil for frying
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and pour in the baking powder and xanthan gum and stir.
2. Rub in the butter using your fingers until it is well mixed with the flour and baking powder now stir in the sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg in with the milk and slowly add to the flour mixture.
4. Bring the mixture together using your hands until it has formed a ball (if your mixture is too wet to roll just add more flour, a little at a time until the right consistency is achieved).
5. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out your dough onto it, dust a rolling pin and roll the dough out to about 1cm thick.
6. Pre-heat your fat fryer to 180 c.
7. Cut out the doughnuts to desired shape and lay out on a tray with grease proof paper on it.
8. When your fryer is ready, carefully drop some of the doughnuts in the oil and fry until they are golden brown and bobbing to the top of the fryer.
9. Drain the doughnuts on kitchen roll and then cover in desired topping, I just made some icing and we dipped the doughnuts in it.