For the past couple of years my other half and I have been the hosts of the annual pancake day gathering between our group of friends. As we only live in a one bed-roomed flat it can be a little bit squashed but we always have a fab eve plus it’s a perfect excuse to have everyone over for a nice easy meal! This year it was the 3rd pancake day we had hosted!
I love pancakes, they’re just so versatile you can make sweet, savory, skinny, fat, and don’t even get me started on the toppings! My gluten free pancake batter is a thin, plain batter but this year I mixed it up a little after the brilliant janemakes gave me some amazing gluten free recipes she had saved from her magazine! I couldn’t pick which recipe to use so I mixed them all up a little bit! Thank you Janey!
Now, I couldn’t flip pancakes for love nor money until one day I discovered something amazing! THE WOK.
Hear me out… Just try it, the high edges on the wok seem to make it a lot easier(maybe it’s just me) to flip the pancakes over.
And now for the recipe, I have made the quantities smaller because I was cooking for so many!
You will need:
– a few knobs of butter
– 125g gluten free flour
– 1 large egg (free range is good)
– 300ml milk
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp xanthem gum
– any topping(s) you can think of
1. Get a large mixing bowl and add to it your flour, xanthem gum and baking powder and give it a little stir with a whisk.
2. Now in another bowl, mix together the egg and milk. Once it is combined, add the milky mixture to the bowl with the flour in a little at a time giving it a whisk as you go.
3. Once you have mixed it all together cover the batter and leave to rest for half an hour.
4. Once half an hour has passed, heat a small knob of butter in a frying pan (or wok) until it has melted, give your pancake batter a little stir again and then pour a medium ladle full of the batter into the melted butter.
5. Once the batter is is cooked on the bottom flip the pancake over and cook the other side. Repeat this process until all the batter is used up and you have a pancake stack.
6. Serve the pancakes with which ever topping you desire!