We like tortillas, and we have managed to find them GF for dirt cheap (Tesco for 46p!!!), so they have become one of our ‘naughty’ cupboard staples. They are so versatile too; you can eat them with dip (or plain), cover them in cheese, sour cream and guacamole, or use the crumbs at the bottom of the packet for a crunchy topping on a lasagne. The list goes on!
Yesterday, I decided to make us some Chilli Nachos, I swear I have heard of it before but I can’t think where and when I mentioned it to Miles he couldn’t wait. Needless to say when I brought out the final product it didn’t last very long! I would say that this recipe will serve 2 people for a main or 4-6 people for a starter.
You will need:
- 150g lean minced beef
- A dash of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- Salt and pepps
- Chilli flakes (to taste)
- A couple of drops of tabasco sauce
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- ½ a tin of mixed beans
- A bag of tortilla chips
- A couple of handfuls of your favourite cheese (grated) I used a mixture of Cheddar and Parmesan.
- Pop a dash of olive oil into a large frying pan and add the mince. Season with salt and peps and stir until it is all brown.
- Once the mince is brown add your minced garlic and chopped onions, the tomato puree and ketchup and stir to combine.
- Then add the tin of chopped tomatoes and your mixed beans, stir again!
- Your kitchen should be smelling wonderful by now, once the tomatoes and beans are nicely mixed in add a couple of drops of tabasco and then the chilli flakes. Do this a little at a time, tasting the sauce to make sure it’s not getting too hot and when your happy stop!
- That’s your chilli ready! Set it aside whilst we bring the whole thing together. So on to a plate you want to place a handful of tortilla chips, followed by a nice covering layer of the chilli and a sprinkle of cheese… and then repeat! Sort of like a nacho lasagne! I think I managed to repeat mine about 3 times before I decided it was getting a bit too much but you can go as high as you like!
- Pop the plate of nachos into a microwave for a minute or so to melt the cheese and allow all the flavours to combine. Enjoy! 🙂