Have you ever had bubble tea? It’s amazing! For those of you who don’t know, bubble tea is tea with tapioca pearls in the bottom of it. The tea can be anything from traditional English tea (milk tea) or your favourite fruit teas. You can also get different flavoured jellies to go in the bottom too, the possibilities are endless!
Anyway I decided, after a trip to the oriental shop in Portsmouth yesterday that I was going to try to make bubble tea! So I picked up some tapioca pearls along with our other bits.
I wanted to make my bubble tea with milk tea and tapioca pearls so had a little read up on the Internet to see if there is a special technique to making this delightful little drink and there are so many different ways to make it. I used a mixture of a few recipes and this is what I got:
You will need: (makes 1 pint glass)
– 1 tablespoon of tapioca pearls (cooked)
– 400ml water
– 1 tea bag
– 1 1/2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk
– 2 tablespoons of sugar syrup*
– 2 cups of ice
1. Make your tea by placing the teabag in a big mug or jug of boiling water and steeping for 12 minutes.
2. Into a cocktail shaker, put your tea, the sweetened condensed milk, and the sugar syrup and give it a good shake to mix it all up.
3. Add the ice and mix again until the tea is cold and everything is combined.
4. Put the tapioca pearls into a pint glass, and then add the tea and ice to the glass too.
5. Add a fat straw to your glass and enjoy!