A couple of weekends ago, Miles’ family came down for a big meal at his parents. I love family get togethers, it’s great to see everyone and have a jolly good catch up while having great food and wine!
On this occasion I decided to take something along with us as there would be quite a few people. So I made a ginger cake!
I had never made a ginger cake before, so I was a bit worried about how it would come out, especially when it’s not just me and Miles’ eating it (its not always rainbows and butterflies in the kitchen of kalamity!), but this one came out just perfectly, and it was a huge hit with the fam too!
It is so easy to make, you could do it blindfolded! Plus it goes perfectly with some warm custard or a dollop of double cream mmmmm.
You will need:
– 200g gluten free self raising flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon Xanthem gum
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 egg (beaten)
– 2 tablespoons golden syrup
– 240ml hot water
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line and grease a loaf tin (so it is easy to pop the cake out once it has cooked!)
- Sift, into a bowl, the flour, baking powder, xanthem gum and ground ginger then add the sugar and stir until it is all mixed in together. (watch your nostrils at this point… the ground ginger tickles if it gets up there!)
3. Now add the egg, syrup and water and stir again until everything is combined and you have a nice smooth cake batter.
4. Pour into a loaf tin and bake in your oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the batter has set all the way through.
5. Once cooked, allow to cool in the loaf tin before turning out and scoffing!!
6. Enjoy with a lovely warm cup of tea!